JAMES LONG, a name sure to gain serious column inches in 2009, successfully cemented his entry into fashion by way of his Royal College of Art graduate collection, which GQ Associate Editor Charlie Porter snapped up several pieces from. The Northampton-born designer, who holds an MA in Menswear and Accessories, then received further compliment when designs of his were featured in revered magazines Dazed & Confused, I-D and Numero. As is the way in Fashion, things never run smoothly and Long suffered a major set back last year when the Autumn/Winter collection was stolen from his Hackney studio just hours after it was so well received by critics at London Fashion Week. However, it was clearly a case of ‘things can only get better’ when he was given the task of commissions from Italian Vogue. Favouring robust fabrics with strong bondage references, they don’t come much more ‘out there’ than this, especially, as Long explains, "I use my sculptural accessories knowledge in the designs I create for clothes".Be in awe of the new Gareth Pugh (?) http://www.jameslonguk.com/And while I'm dwelling on the delights of Menswear, let me mention my new favourite accessory designer J.W Anderson. His Spring/Summer 09 collection entitled 'An Eye For An Eye' contains some of the most beautiful beadwork and crystal craftsmanship I have had the pleasure of witnessing. The influence of Christ and the time in which he dwelled among the Romans is gloriously displayed in the form of religious charms, elaborate Caesar-worthy breast plates and a crown consisting of golden acorns; emblems "historically believed to give eternal life to their wearer", he claims. Furthermore, Anderson also stresses "a nod at the oil painting of Diego Velasquez and Raphael" as a reference point, something which explains perfectly the delicacy of the materials sourced and the detail the designer has gone to in creating this intricate, art-worthy collection.
http://www.j-w-anderson.com/j.w.anderson.html

No comments:
Post a Comment